What does the Hutt Art Society Urban Sketchers Group do?
We are the Hutt Art Society Urban Sketching Group, formed to have fun while discovering our community through drawing, sketching and painting on location in the Hutt Valley and the wider Wellington region.
We car pool to a location where we sketch for one or two hours what we see around us in the media of our choice. Afterwards we meet at a nearby cafe where we have the opportunity to share our work and learn from each other.
Where do we meet?
Hutt Art Society, corner Myrtle and Huia Streets, Lower Hutt, New Zealand
When do we meet?
Wednesday at 1 pm, returning by 4:30pm.
Can I join the Group?
Yes: Anybody of any ability who has a passion for drawing, sketching or painting on location are welcome to join us.
Not a member of the Hutt Art Society!!
You are welcome to join us.
Although the Urban Sketching Group is organised as part of the Hutt Art Society, this group is open to all. You are not required to be a become a member of the Hutt Art Society to join this group.
You may decide later to join the society to participate in other Hutt Art Society groups and take advantage of belonging to a vibrant group of like minded people who are passionate about producing great art.
Why was the new Urban Sketching Group formed?
To get members out of the studio to:
- discover our community through sketching on location.
- develop our drawing, sketching and painting skills through direct observation..
- develop a visual history of our community.
Where did the inspiration for a new Urban Sketching group come from?
- Urban Sketchers Organisation which is an international non-profit organisation that connects people around the world who draw on location where they live and travel. For more information on the Urban Sketching Organisation see Urban Sketchers.
- The book ‘The Art of Urban Sketching – Drawing on location around the World” by Gabriel Campanario. The Lower Hutt library has a copy.
- The Hutt Art Society Summer School 2015 – Urban Sketching course with Min Kim.
Does the Urban Sketching Group offer formal tuition?
No: We are a group that meet weekly to share knowledge and our joy for sketching, drawing and painting on location.
If you want formal tuition, the Hutt Art Society run regular courses on Urban Sketching related subjects. To enroll please see Hutt Art Society Courses.
Want more Information?
Contact the Hutt Art Society Phone: 04 566 0102 Email: email@example.com